MedTech color is an organization that aims to build a cohesive community of leaders of color in MedTech, increase the number of underrepresented executives who enter and stay in the industry and drive thought leadership.
In the fall of 2017, fifteen African-American leaders from the medical device industry met over dinner in San Jose, California. They had three topics of interest to discuss. First, they shared their stories of navigating the complexities of the industry as an ethnic minority. Their second aim was to explore what might be done to solve this problem. An industry serving hundreds of millions globally suffered from the lost learnings and insights from persons of color who are largely absent from high-level decisions. There is immense untapped potential of persons of color who either exit the industry early or never enter MedTech in the first place. Third, the group, made up of venture capitalists, large company executives, early-stage company CEOs, and top-tier service providers, recognized the need for a plan of action and set in place concrete steps to increase the number of persons of color who make a meaningful contribution the life-saving MedTech industry.
Dr. Angelique Johnson
Founder & CEO - MEMStim LLC
VP, Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer - Danaher
Founder & CEO - Alerje
Ibraheem Badejo, Ph.D.
Senior Director - New Ventures (Med Devices), Johnson & Johnson Innovation Center
Venture Partner - Wavemaker Three-Sixty Health
Chief Strategy Officer - Experien Group
Vernessa T. Pollard
Partner, Co-Leader of FDA Practice - McDermott Will & Emery
What are MedTech Color's strategic imperatives?
- Drive clinical trial enrollment of 10,000 patients from under-represented ethnic groups.
- Create 100 new black or brown CEOs.
- Increase the number of meaningful strategic relationships in the MedTech ecosystem.
What's next for MedTech Color?
- Execute a thematic Medtech pitch competition with strategic partners targeting ethnic minority start-up founders.
- Convene a topical panel at the AdvaMed MedTech conference in September 2019.
- Create clinical trial information repository and content on the website.
Why MedTech Color?
- To build a community of sponsors, mentors, and champions.
- To increase the number of African Americans who enter and stay in MedTech.
- To Add tangible value to the MedTech ecosystem via thought-leadership.